Welcome



When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste. ~Laiko Bahrs









Monday, April 4, 2011

Garden Time!!

All this warm weather we are having is making want to plant our garden! We will be planting towards the end of April, to make sure we don't get any freezes. Last year we planted 27 tomato plants and harvested over 500 tomatoes! I canned and froze most of them! I also canned pickles (which were gone before summer was even over, they were too yummy!!) 

I used the water bath method last year. This year I am thinking about using a pressure cooker. All be known....I have a FEAR of pressure cookers. I have never used one. My mother and mother-in-law and both grandmothers have used them, but I have never used one. I am terrified of them. Not sure why, maybe because its the metal pot being under so mush pressure not to mention the heat it is containing and that at any moment it can literally blow its lid! But...I am determined to try it this year! It will, by no doubt, save me canning time! 

Here is what we are for sure having in the garden this year:
30 Tomato plants (all heirloom)
Green Beans
Corn (we are growing this for our chickens to eat)
Zucchini
Yellow Squash
Jalapeno
Bell Peppers (any color)
Banana Peppers
Cucumber


I have yet to try an herb garden but I am wanting to try these this year"

Basil
Parsley
Thyme
Oregano
Rosemary

 Last year we attempted to grow lettuce and in years past we have tried Okra, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli and Cauliflower. Oh and not to mention the Green Beans have failed because of pesky Rabbits. But, this year, I purchased 2 ducks. Mallords to be exact. I have read up on them. As long as you get the plants past the very beginning stages of growing, and onto the producing stage, you can let your ducks roam in your garden and they will eat all the bugs off your plants without eating your harvest. We are fencing in the garden this year and are going to let the ducks roam. If they start to eat my harvest then it is back to the Chicken Coop for them. 

We have already began to fertilize the garden soil with chicken droppings. Hubby will go over the soil a couple of more rounds with the tiller and then we are set to plant! 

Every year we have success in growing something.... I think it might have something to do with the fact that every fall, when the harvest is over and gone, we have a bonfire in our garden, burning all that is left over from the stems and roots of the plants. No only does this purify the soil but it helps get rid of the leftover Tomato stems. 
I am looking forward to planting this year!! Just wish my back was as excited as my heart is! 

What are you going to be planting this year??

~Remember to put God first, and everything else will follow~

No comments:

Post a Comment