Welcome



When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste. ~Laiko Bahrs









Friday, November 19, 2010

Let's talk Turkey!

As Thanksgiving is approaching us (in less than a week!) I decided to purchase a turkey half the size of the one I am fixing on thanksgiving, to do a test run on the recipe! So, I purchased an 11lb turkey! It took a solid week to thaw out!! I took a stick of softened butter and mixed it with 1 T garlic powder, 1 T onion powder, 3/4 T pepper, 1 t paprika, and 1 T herded poultry seasoning. I donned my gloves and loosed the skin from around the breast and legs of the turkey! I then took spoonfuls of the butter mixture and rubbed it into the breast and legs under the skin and then on top of the skin as well. I drizzled about 2 T evoo in the bottom of my roasting pan and placed the bird in! I will use homemade chicken stock for the next part but since I forgot to thaw it out I used 3/4 of a can of low sodium chicken stock and added it to the pan. I placed the lid on and sent her into the 325 degree oven for 1.5 hours. I took the bird out and added more of the butter mixture to it (this time just on top). I replaced the lid and let her cook for another 1.5 hours. I checked the temp and when it was close to 165 degrees I set the timer for 30 minutes. I was on the phone when the timer went off and was not thinking about what was in the oven, even though the smell was overwhelming in the house! Needless to say it cooked for another 30 minutes. I should have taken it out when the timer went off but I was to involved in the conversation I was having though I can't remember who I was talking to. LOL!
Once she finally came out of the oven, this is how she looked!!




She looked a little rough and I did steal a taste before I took the picture...Still Delicious!!

I hope you take a moment to think back on this past year and look at the blessings you have been given! I know I will!


~Remember to put God first, and everything else will follow~

No comments:

Post a Comment