Welcome



When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste. ~Laiko Bahrs









Monday, January 17, 2011

Running Time!

My First 5k

In April 2010, I ran my first 5k. I finished in a little over 44 minutes. That is 3.1 miles. I had trained in the gym, inside, on a treadmill. I had it down to 3.1 in 38 minutes. I get outside... and I can't breathe! The air is so different! Not to mention that it had stormed right before the run. I also didn't take into account that the run, was mostly up hill. It was hard, one of the hardest things I have had to do as an adult. I had to push myself. My oldest sister ran with me and pushed me all the way. The middle sister was going to run with us but she had just had a baby.I started running in December '09. In February, encountered a leg injury. What one Dr thought was tendinitis, actually turned into something more serious. The first Dr put me on 1800 mlg of Ibuprofen, and told me to take it easy on the treadmill and come back after the 5k if it hasn't gotten better. So I ran, and I ran hard. The day of the 5k, I wore my shin brace, and prayed. I had my mp3 player blaring in one ear and my sister in the other! We are in the "crowd" at the start line. Then suddenly, the gun shot was heard and we were off! Little over 44 minutes later, I crossed the finish line! I finished in front of one of The Biggest Loser contestants, Liz Young.

I could not believe that I finished before her, but I did! She was one of my motivations to run! 

      This is me and Liz! Make sure you go to her website and check it out! 
After I ran my 5k, I was still having problems with my leg. I went to a different Dr for a second opinion. And boy, am I glad I did! I ended up having a stress fracture. I ran a 5k with a stress fracture. I was put in a boot for 4 weeks. Not fun. Needless to say, that was the death of my desire to run. I tried several times to run again but with no avail. I felt like my body was broke and it didn't want to run again. Having not ran for over 4 months, I decided to try it again. My mom gave me her treadmill. We cleaned it up (had been in the garage collecting dust and spiders), and I ran on it for the first time last week. It was an awakening. I realized just how out of shape I was. I then realized how much weight I have gained since I stopped running. UGH! SO, why am I telling you all this....Not sure!

But I do want to share with you my weight-loss goals for this year! I joined weight watchers before Christmas...bad idea, but I am back on track! Not telling how many points I get but its a bunch! I sometimes have a hard time eating all them. Weight Watchers online is what I am doing. If you haven't given it a try, do so!! I am planning on loosing 65 lbs this year! I think I can do it!! That will put me at what I weighed when my hubby and I got engaged! ! My ultimate goal is to loose 80 lbs! But, I will get the first 65 off first! 

Also, today I started back on the treadmill. I am starting slow this time. Last week I did 10 minutes. I ran for a few of those minutes. Today, I ran a few more but off and on (20 min total). I am trying to condition my leg so I don't end up with another injury. I found a program that I am going to try and follow to see how it helps me. Here it is.

Week 1: Walk 5 min. run 2 min (repeat 2 more times) Walk 5 min
Week 2: Walk 5 min run 4 min (repeat 2 more times) Walk 5 min
Week 3: Walk 4 min run 6 min (repeat 2 more times) Walk 5 min
Week 4: Walk 3 min run 8 min (repeat 2 more times) Walk 5 min
Week 5: Walk 2 min run 10 min (repeat 2 more times) Walk 5 min
Week 6: Walk 1 min run 12 min (repeat 2 more times) Walk 5 min
Week 7: Walk 1 min run 20 min (repeat 2 more times) Walk 5 min
Week 8: Walk 1 min run 30 min Walk 5 min.

Slow and steady wins the race!!
~Remember to put God first, and everything else will follow~

No comments:

Post a Comment