Welcome



When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste. ~Laiko Bahrs









Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pantry Challenge Day 3: Mexican Night

Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy.  ~Author Unknown

Mexican Night


Pantry Challenge Day 3


Seeing that we still have snow outside and schools were closed again, and we were going on our 3rd day of being snowed in, I decided the kids and I would go out for an adventure. I needed to pick up a few things from Walgreens (I will share my awesome savings tomorrow) and I really needed a new pair of rubber boots to wear out in the snow and to feed the chickens and dogs in! I have stuck to my challenge of not purchasing items for the pantry for the past 2 days and I am not about to jump ship either!! However, that being said, when I was at Wal-Mart getting my shoes, I came across some Craisins at an AWESOME DEAL and I didn't pass them up. I purchased 3 packages, but we do use these on our salads just about everyday!  

I decided that tonight was going to be Mexican night! I came across a recipe I wanted to try out the other day and found this was the perfect night to do so. This was my first time making this dish and I loved it. Dillon on the other hand is a very picky eater and didn't care for it but Emma liked like myself! Hubby has not ate his yet, but I am sure it will be good!!


 Ground Turkey Nacho Bake

1 lb Ground Turkey, browned
2 T Taco Seasoning, I will share my recipe for homemade below
1 cup salsa, mine is homemade
2 Cups refried beans, I made mine with homemade pinto beans
2 8 inch Soft Tortillas
1 can Kidney beans, drained ( I used Pinto Beans since I already was making refried beans. )
1 1/2 cups Shredded cheddar cheese ( I used Mozzarella )
1 cup additional salsa
Tortilla/Corn chips

Brown Ground Turkey and add Taco seasonings and salsa. Cook for about 5-6 minutes. Add kidney beans and cook 2 more minutes.

Spray a 8x8 or 9x9 casserole dish and place 1 tortilla down. Spread refried beans over tortilla. Spoon meat mixture over refried beans and add some crushed up tortilla/corn chips. Add 1/2 cup of salsa and half of shredded cheese. 

Repeat layer. Make sure you end with cheese on top. Bake on 350 for about 15 minutes. 

Let is sit for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving! 
Serve with a side salad! 

YUM!!!
(this picture was taken by my 6 year old daughter!)
You can make this your very own recipe by adding green chili's or jalapenos.  This recipe came solely from my pantry, with what I had on hand. See, cooking from your pantry isn't that hard...but I am only on day 3! 


Bonus recipe!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

1 T Chili powder
2 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp each Cumin, Garlic powder, Paprika, Oregano, Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt

Mix together in a baggy and there ya go!! Homemade taco seasoning! IF you are feeling a little spicy, add in a pinch or 2 of Cheyenne pepper!



~Remember to put God first, and everything else will follow~

No comments:

Post a Comment